Longville is a city in Cass County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 156 at the 2010 census. The city was named after its founder Jim Long. The town is roughly 4 hours north of the Twin Cities. It is part of the Brainerd Micropolitan Statistical Area. Minnesota State Highway 84 serves as a main route in the community, and Minnesota State Highway 200 is nearby. Longville is a popular summer tourist destination and services the many cabins on the nearby lakes of Long Lake and the much larger Woman Lake. The population in the winter is under 200 permanent residents, but swells to over 5,000 in the summer when the cabin dwellers are included.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.86 square miles (2.23 km), of which, 0.84 square miles (2.18 km) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.05 km) is water.
Longville is part of the Northern Minnesota’s glacial plain, which was flattened by glaciers during the most recent glacial advance. During the last glacial period, massive ice sheets at least 0.62 miles (1 km) thick ravaged the landscape of the state and sculpted its current terrain. The Wisconsin glaciation left 12,000 years ago. These glaciers covered all of Minnesota except the far southeast, an area characterized by steep hills and streams that cut into the bedrock. Thus since the landscape is still recovering from the weight of the glaciers and going through post-glacial rebound and the turmoil this created, the landscape is poorly drained creating the numerous lakes and rivers found in Cass County.
Long Lake itself is very deep, up to 110 feet (34 m), and drops off rather quickly from shore. This is very unusual for lakes of this size in this region, as they normally are no more than 50 feet (15 m) in depth.
The cultural landscape of Longville and its surrounding lands can be characterized as seasonal and recreational. The bulk of human activity occurs in the summer when the numerous cabin owners vacation at their lake homes, and the activities they engage in are mostly recreational in nature.
As of the census of 2010, there were 156 people, 92 households, and 41 families residing in the city. The population density was 185.7 inhabitants per square mile (71.7/km). There were 164 housing units at an average density of 195.2 per square mile (75.4/km). The racial makeup of the city was 100.0% White.
There were 92 households of which 10.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.9% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 1.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 55.4% were non-families. 48.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 35.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.70 and the average family size was 2.39.
The median age in the city was 63.8 years. 11.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 9.6% were from 25 to 44; 25.1% were from 45 to 64; and 48.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 43.6% male and 56.4% female.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,167, and the median income for a family was $27,917. Males had a median income of $16,563 versus $8,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,162.
As of the census of 2000, there were 180 people, 103 households, and 52 families residing in the city. The population density was 301.7 people per square mile (115.8/km²). There were 150 housing units at an average density of 251.4 per square mile (96.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.11% White, 3.33% Native American, and 0.56% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.56% of the population.
There were 103 households out of which 9.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.7% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 49.5% were non-families. 48.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 35.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.75 and the average family size was 2.46.
In the city, the population was spread out with 11.7% under the age of 18, 3.9% from 18 to 24, 11.7% from 25 to 44, 24.4% from 45 to 64, and 48.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 64 years. For every 100 females, there were 85.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $26,818, and the median income for a family was $39,583. Males had a median income of $20,625 versus $16,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $26,524. None of the families and 5.3% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 6.2% of those over 64.